Sunday, November 25, 2012

Equipment & P.E.

In order to have a solid curriculum does it mean you need to have an abundance of equipment available? I don't think that this is the case. I am currently doing my field experience at Union High School, a very poor district with very limited equipment. My co-op, Mrs. V. has done an excellent job with providing her students with an exceptional education with such little equipment. Through her dedication and imagination she is able to engage students just has much as she would with triple the equipment available. As long as teachers have the urge to teach and enhance student learning, then the equipment list should not matter. Although I am saying that an abundance of equipment is not necessary it is always a nice thing to have, if you are using it properly. However, just because you have more equipment doesn't mean that your physical education class is better compared to those with very limited equipment. It takes more than equipment to make a cohesive educational experience.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree Carrie. I don't believe having all the equipment in the world is necessary. Many teachers have successful PE programs with minimal equipment. Yes it can make it hard but it is do-able. I think a lot is put on the teacher. If the teacher can make it fun then the kids will enjoy class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that it take more than equipment, and money in general, to have a successful Physical Education program. I've seen some schools that have limited equipment be very successful. Likewise, I've also seen some schools with an abundance of equipment falter. It all comes down to what the teacher can do with what they have. Hopefully then the administrators will see their success and get them more funding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comments above and with what you said Carrie. My school had very limited equipment, but I learned so much and enjoyed my Phys. Ed class. It didn't matter to any of us that we had to work with what we had because our PE teacher was very creative. So, you are definitely right when you say "it takes more than equipment to make a cohesive education experience". It is beneficial teaching at a school that has nice equipment and an abundance of it because you can do so many different things, but I think it just comes down to the PE teacher and what they can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My school district was also a very small district with limited equipment. My phys ed teachers always did a great job at getting us involved in different activities. They were always coming up with new and creative ideas. I think the teacher plays the biggest role in the classroom. If we want other people to be excited about what they are doing, we need to be excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree I feel that it is the teacher that makes the class, not the class that makes the teacher. Meaning don't let your surroundings and lack of equipment effect your outcome. It is the teacher’s job to find ways to motivate and inspire kids to pursue life ling health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like as a teacher it is your responsibility to create a great class whether you have a mass amount of equipment or not. You can have all the equipment in the world but if you are not a good teacher the equipment is useless. It would be great to have equipment to design lesson plans, but the most important thing is to teach your students how to live a happy and healthy life style. Equipment or not you want your students to leave your classroom taking material they can use throughout their lifetime.

    ReplyDelete